Thursday, September 18, 2008

diabetes gadgets


I know some might call me crazy, but I like to try out all the new and exciting devices for diabetes management. I know I don't have diabetes...but I teach people who do, all day, every day. I learn so much more by wearing them, and find practical tips for people using them on a day-to-day basis. Perhaps I am too dedicated to being really good at my job...but this is interesting to me.

Here's the newest thing. CGMS (continuous glucose monitoring system). This device is great as it can give you a blood sugar reading every 5 minutes of the day and warns you if you are dropping too fast or rising too high. They aren't as accurate as we would like, but they are still extremely helpful for some patients. The changes in my blood sugar are not as exciting to watch, seeing as my pancreas works just fine, but I think I'll overdo it at the Pizza Factory tonight and see what happens:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can I get one that pumps all the daily nutrients I need so I can eat whatever I want for the rest of the day?