Saturday, August 14, 2010

Summer Herbs and Chicken


It's been quite a while since I did a food post. I admit, I am not as motivated to cook in the summer. I do quick and cold food more than anything (sandwiches and salads mostly). Never fear, Michele's garden is starting to produce some magnificent looking veggies this year-which I am committed to cook/eat. That's our deal: she grows them, I cook them, we both eat. She even gave me a little herb garden of my own this year. This is how successful I was at keeping it alive. Pathetic, I know. Kinda reminds me of the Botanical Gardens in Denver last year...remember that?

Anyway, yesterday I made some delightful, summery chicken and thought I would share it.
Lemon Garlic Chicken
1/4 C fresh lemon juice
1/3 olive oil
1/4 C fresh oregano (or dried if your garden just died)
2 TBSP minced garlic (fresh is really better for this recipe)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
chicken (breasts, thighs, legs, etc.)
2 lemons (sliced)

Oil grill or grill-pan well (or use non-fat cooking spray like me). Grill chicken on both sides until cooked all the way through. While cooking, combine first 6 ingredients together. Brush or pour sauce over chicken mid-cooking and again after it is cooked through. Lay sliced lemons on grill and cook briefly on each side until grill-marked and deliciously warmed. Serve lemons atop chicken on platter. The sauce goes a long way-this recipe should give you enough for about 8-10 thighs or breast halves. Extra sauce, however, is no problem. It was great on top of the veggies, potatoes, and salad, too.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sigh... $11 to see a bunch of dead plants and mud... botanical gardens aren't quite what I thought they'd be- but it's nice you wanted to create a reminder to yourself in your back porch of how much fun you had there...