Thursday, March 25, 2010

I actually followed a recipe!

My mother gave me a new cookbook for Valentines Day. I finally decided to put it to some use. It is Rachel Ray's book of top 10 lists. Back in the days when I watched TV regularly (it's been quite a while), I loved her show...this was actually before she got too famous. I took an evening to study the book (much more laborious when they don't have many pictures) and select the ones I would want to try sometime. I had dinner group tonight so it was a perfect opportunity to use them.
The ones I chose allowed me to accomplish 3 things I haven't done much:
1. follow a recipe exactly
2. cook red meat
3. use the wasabi I got for Christmas!

the menu was: Ginger Flank Steak, Wasabi Smashed Potatoes, Roasted Asparagus, and Ginger-Poached Pears with Ricotta and Blueberries.

Lessons Learned:
1. Shame on me for following the recipe too well. Rachel Ray has a good sense for flavors but stinks on her portion estimates and cooking times.
2. I'm unsure why I have been intimidated by cooking steak in the past-it's pretty easy.
3. It was all delicious, but I have lots of leftovers... anyone hungry?

4 comments:

Karen Ella said...

Yes please! :) And....where are the pictures? I usually come here to read up on your life and end up salivating way before lunch time because of the great pics...

Unknown said...

How were the wasabi mashed potatoes? I've been tempted by the ones at Thaifoon, but I already have food I really like there and haven't wanted to branch apart from that much. Also, the pears sound divine!

D.I.M. Incorporated said...

Sounds amazing!

Rachel said...

Did you like your wasabi?