Thursday, November 7, 2013

Educator of the Year

Today I got a total surprise. My family knew, my coworkers and hospital president knew, my in-laws knew... but they kept it a good secret. I was so busy running around like a chicken with it's head cut off running the Diabetes Educator conference that I wasn't expecting to be the recipient of an award. Anyway, I sort of got a clue when I saw my parents and coworkers come and sit in the audience...and then the announcer started explaining comments from nominating educators, patients and coworkers about the recipient...


They announced that I was chosen to be American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) of Utah's "Educator of the Year"!   I was surprised and touched. They asked me to say a few things up at the podium and I think I just thanked the educators I've worked with and gotten to know in the AADE. Afterward, I thought I probably could have been a bit more personal. This is what I would add:

People often ask me why I chose to become a diabetes educator. Since I don't personally have diabetes...no one in my immediate family has diabetes, the choice seems odd I guess. I tell them, I didn't choose diabetes, it chose me. There were many things during my schooling and career as a dietitian that kept pointing me straight to it...over and over again. It just seemed to fit and I embraced the idea fully and worked hard to make it happen. It is a most fascinating field, isn't it? It can also be extremely challenging but most of all, it is rewarding. When you make a difference in the life of a patient, when you show empathy, when they finally understand something, when you can reach them in a way no one else could because of your expertise, when you can celebrate together their successes...that is what makes it all worth it. That is why I do what I do... that is why you do what you do. It is all about our patients and making their lives better. "Mankind IS our business".  I am honored to be working with so many of you in the diabetes community who feel the same way.


3 comments:

Rachel said...

way to go EM!!!!!! So proud of you. You deserve it. I also love your description of why you do what you do.

Unknown said...

you rock. And you totally deserve this! I am always bragging about how my sister is so dedicated to her patients that she even uses all of the things diabetics have to use when she has no need to actually do so besides a desire to understand them better. What an awesome person I am related to!!!

Sister Ginger Cannon said...

So proud of you Emily! We love you and are glad that you have become so dedicated and knowledgeable in this field! It was fun to be a little part of your award day!