Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ski Bunny

My mom gave me ski bunny pajamas for Christmas (had pictures of skiing bunnies on them). I guess she already knew something that I didn't.

I went skiing for the first time in 15 yrs yesterday. It's not that I disliked skiing or couldn't do it, but I had decided that it was too expensive of a hobby for me to get into. Well, when you are dating a hot ski instructor for Deer Valley, there are definitely some perks-like free ski passes and private lessons!

Ben took me skiing Saturday and I had a blast! I could easily get hooked to that sport. Luckily I hadn't forgotten everything I learned up at Beaver Mtn bunny hill on our middle school's ski trips. I was able to do fairly well on all the beginner runs he took me on. I only fell 3 times. The last 2 were in the last 10 min. when my legs got tired and he took me through the kid's obstacle course. lol. Ben said he was actually very impressed with how I did. Hooray! It helps to have a very patient and considerate instructor around :) Maybe he'll even take me again sometime. I can't wait.

Things that impressed me:
-All the 3-5 yr olds just whizzing around on their skiis. For real! I couldn't believe it.
-Deer Valley resort is HUGE compared with the Beav... It was also very beautiful and the lifts didn't take forever.
-I actually ate turkey chili cheese fries (One of Ben's favorite skiing meal). Yeah. I know. Can you image? No offense, Ben...but I probably won't do that again. Although it did help me last easily through fast Sunday.
-Ben's dad (79 yrs old) came skiing with us most of the day. When I'm his age, I hope to be as active as he. Kudos to him.
-Ben can ski backwards! He can flip around just as easily as a person on ice skates. Very cool.

Note to self: Work on arm strength. After a day of skiing, my arms were the most sore of anything (from pushing myself around at the bottom by the lifts). I guess that means my legs aren't too wimpy!

1 comment:

Jerry said...

For future reference, it's easier to kinda walk using your skis. Then you don't have to use your arms that much. Think of skating and the way you push off with your skates and glide with your other foot. Do the same with skiing and then you won't be as tired.

PS. Turkey chili cheese fries actually sounds pretty good. I'd like to try it sometime.