Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Patriotic thoughts


Being in Washington D.C. among all the historical sites, seeing different aspects of our government in action gave me a new respect and appreciation for our wonderful country, those who founded it and those that are trying to continue that legacy.

One of my favorite parts of the monuments were the inspirational quotes carved into the stone...famous words, excerpts of speeches, or parts of letters written. These gave more power and strength to the meaning of the monument, meant to honor a great man or the efforts of those that fought in certain wars. It was kind of solemn but also uplifting at the same time. Interesting.

I especially was touched by how many of those quotes contained words of God and His role in creating the country, inspiring its founders, and the humility we should have toward His will in our future. I wish more Americans would appreciate that. It strengthened my testimony at least:)

No comments: