Saturday, January 14, 2012

Choose your own adventure birthday

Kimi had a birthday this week. Missy and I wanted to do something for her and she opted for a surprise.
I texted her 4 random questions and she unknowingly choose her own adventure:
Out or In (she chose: In)
Fancy or Comfortable (she chose: comfortable)
Exotic or American (she chose: exotic)
New or Familiar (she chose: new)

So, we stayed in, wore comfy clothes, made a blanket tent in the front room like we used to do all the time when we were little, had an exotic meal (Ethiopian food) and watched a new movie with just the girls. Missy made a yummy toffee chocolate cake. We had a blast.

I had a lot of fun making the Ethiopian food. I'd had it before at a restaurant so I kind of knew what to expect. To explain, it is a large thin pancake like bread, with little piles of each kind of stew. I had chicken stew with hard boiled eggs, lentil stew, vegetable stew, and a cottage cheese/lemon mixture. They are all heavily spiced and delicious. You tear of pieces of the bread with your hands and grab parts of the stew to eat it. It is also very filling, we found out.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Glad you guys had so much fun! The food looks awesome. Wish I could've been there!

Sister Ginger Cannon said...

It is so nice to know that you girls take care of each other!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh that was the best party ever! The food was AMAZING. My sistah's are the best!

Jerry said...

Hey Emily! Haven't been on here in a while, but this looks great! I've only had the pleasure of trying Ethiopian food once, but it was good. I look forward to reading your food blog and perhaps even trying a few of your recipes there.

Hope all is well!

Jerry :)